The older kids were shy. We asked them questions, they just sat there. We told them they could ask us questions about the US and again, they just sat there. Finally, I asked them about music and they started talking some. I decided to teach them a song with hopes that they would get involved. I wrote the lyrics on the board, sang through it once and then told them to join in as I sang it a second time. It was truly beautiful to hear 15 Asians singing the chorus to "Healing is in your hands" even if they have no clue about the FATHER they're singing about. (Megan got video footage of this, btw.) After that, they warmed up to us.
After grabbing some lunch at the apartment, we headed back into town. As we were walking the circle, we saw Sara standing in the doorway of her shop and she asked us if we wanted to come in for tea. We sat and had tea and we told her what we did in the classrooms. After tea, Megan had told some other girls she would meet them and so she left but I stayed back with Sara. After Megan left, I felt like I should sing the song to her and share it with her. I started talking about the school again and I sang the song for her. After singing the first verse and chorus of "Healing is in your hands", I shared with her why I love that song so much and the context of those words and how it applies to my faith.
That opened up more and more conversation. There are parts of the conversation that I won't share for her privacy but it was truly beautiful the way that she openly shared with me different areas and struggles of her life. At one point she said,"Your words are so powerful. Your song is so beautiful and so powerful." I said,"My FATHER is very powerful!" She said,"I think your J is happy when you sing to him." and I said,"Yes I think he's happy when I sing. He loves me. He loves you, too, Sara!" with big eyes, she said,"J loves me??" With sudden tears in my eyes, I told her YES that J does love her very very much!!
That afternoon, FATHER'S SPIRIT continued to guide our conversation. My heart truly broke for her as we talked. Tomorrow we're learning a new way to effectively share the TRUTH here in a way that they can understand and I am so very excited to share it with her tomorrow or Saturday! They have been telling us since orientation that we need to develop FATHER'S discernment as far as people that we need to invest our time in because people here are known to want to be your friend simply because we're viewed as rich Americans. We have met ladies that I just did not have great vibes from as far as being people that we should invest just a whole lot of time with but I can not imagine going a day with out at least going by to say hello to my sweet Sara! I feel FATHER teaching me so much about His character through her sweet, giving and genuine spirit! Thank you so much for your love and support and I hope that you're as excited as I am for how FATHER is going to continue to move here in South Asia!!! :)
<3 C
That's wonderful how music bridges the barriers. Great to hear about your day, Casey! Will be thinking about you, Megan, and Sara especially.
ReplyDeleteAwesome...keep up the wonderful work of the One to which you work for. Love you.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that Father is at work. I'll definitely keep on thinking of each of you. :)
ReplyDelete